I really enjoyed The Dukes Of Hazzard when I was a kid. We recently started watching through season 3 on DVD, and I’m finding that it’s still really fun.
I’ve been trying to figure out why I enjoy it. The acting isn’t killer. It’s as fake as pro wrestling. I think it’s because it’s a caricature of happy country life, where the good guys always win. I grew up in a place where the roads really were primarily narrow dirt or gravel, with a few paved. We didn’t run from the law of course, but quite a few people used the law that says "if it’s unlabeled, it’s 55" on some mighty small roads.
Here’s some interesting trivia:
- Boss Hogg wore a fat suit. (more than one person has told me I’ve altered their view of world history with that bit)
- Sorrell Booke enjoyed playing the part of Boss Hogg so much that he used to dress up and go out that way, just because it was fun.
- James Best (Roscoe) had an acting workshop in LA. Director Quentin Tarantino has said that the work of Best "taught me how to act".
- During one of the famous jump sequences the stunt crew actually set a world record.
- Daisy made all of her own clothes for the first season.
- Ben Jones (Cooter) went on to become a US Congressman. During the Dukes reunion show, Cooter (the character) was a US Congressman, played by Ben Jones during his time in Congress.
- The original Georgia location of Cooters Garage was torn down in 1998 to make way for a church expansion, and the original Boar’s Nest is also now a church.
- During the first season, they didn’t have much budget, so they filmed in real places, not on sets. The Duke farm was a regular farm, and the Boar’s Nest was a real bar.